Tuesday, May 6, 2014

My thoughts on “The Cheapest Generation”

Source: http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/newsroom/img/
2012/08/21/0912-COL-Millenials-wide/lead.jpg?n1923i
From the article“What if Millennials’ aversion to car-buying isn’t a temporary side effect of the recession, but part of a permanent generational shift in tastes and spending habits? It’s a question that applies not only to cars, but to several other traditional categories of big spending—most notably, housing.” So, the question becomes “why?”
For me, I think that it’s not so much about costs or income or anything, it’s just about the changing values of society.
Disclaimer: I am a middle class white college student with minimal debt and looking forward to a relatively lucrative career money-wise in the STEM field.
I just don’t have the same goals or desires that my parents’ generation did. I don’t really care to have children. I don’t want to invest hundreds of thousands of dollars into a house that may or may not be worth more when I choose to move on. I don’t necessarily want to live in one place for 30 years to pay off a mortgage. I don’t care that I have a perfect lawn and tons of space to live in.
I care about internet. I want a nice computer. I want cool gadgetry that will make my life easier. I love music, and I want to go to concerts and have nice speakers. I want to travel. I don’t care if I work until I’m 90, because I intend to love what I do. I don’t want to buy a car if I don’t need a car. If it doesn’t make sense to own one, I won’t. If it makes more sense to rent than to purchase a house, then I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment