Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Notifications, "Today" view, Contorl Center, and Software Interface

The "today" view in iOS doesn't belong in the notifications panel. I think this is something that Android has done well. A down swipe should bring notification center, which quick launches you into apps based on new notifications. The "Today" view should be somewhere else so as to not impede on notifications, nor be impeded on.

Google Now achieves this by a swipe up from the home button (not an option on iOS) or a swipe to the right on the Google Now launcher. I don't think it's the most elegant option, but it's better than iOS's implementation.

Likewise, I don't appreciate Google's choice to include their quick settings toggles (comparable to Control Center in iOS) in the same pull down notification center. It's messy. I much prefer Apple's approach where notification are in Notification Center, and controls are in Control Center. This makes sense for the user.

I really hope that Apple will find a better place for the Today view, and sooner rather than later. I don't want to wait a year for iOS 9 to address it. And I'd love Google to move the quick toggles, but they really have nowhere else to put them, so I don't see that changing any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment