Sunday, September 14, 2014

iPhone Mindshare > Apple Watch Mindshare

Living on a campus made up of university students, I expect to hear plenty of talk about upcoming consumer tech products, particularly phones.

I've been incredibly surprised, however, with just how much I've been overhearing about iPhone 6 and 6 plus. It seems like every phone conversation is about just how big the 6 plus is, and how there's no way that they would want that. Or, it can be about how cool the new iPhone 6 is, and just how thin it is.

The thing is, I don't hear that kind of thing about the recently announced Galaxy Note 4 or the innovative, albeit gimmicky Galaxy Note Edge. I definitely don't hear anything about the new Moto X, despite that being one of the coolest phones announced so far.

At least on my campus, Apple has the main mindshare, and that's crazy.

What's potentially bad news for Apple, though, is I haven't heard a single person mention Apple Watch. I personally am conflicted about it, but I haven't heard a single other person who tuned into the keynote here mention it. That's definitely not going to help Apple win the smartwatch war, nor is it going to help legitimize the concept.

I'm not even hearing that Apple Watch is stupid, useless, or whatever. When iPad initially launched, many people including myself openly mocked it and wrote it off as "just a really big iPod Touch." We were wrong, but it had mindshare. People had heard of iPad, and had a strong opinon  on it. I haven't heard anything about Apple Watch, and I think no news is bad news in this case.

Who knows. Maybe a year from now it'll be a different story. Let me know what you think in the comments.

(Disclosure: I go to UND, not exactly the tech mecca that other places are. We're much more full of average consumers.)

No comments:

Post a Comment